Friday, April 9, 2010

Grand Fatherhood

I became a grandfather last Monday.  The news arrived iPhone-to-iPhone from my breathless, thrilled son-in-law.  I was on Rt. 301 about 20 miles north of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge when his image flashed on my screen to the tune of Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great Balls of Fire."  I was driving at a somewhat reckless speed, hoping to arrive at St. Vincent's Hospital in lower Manhattan in time for the big event.  But little Alice Lee wasn't about to wait -- not even for a doctor let alone a grandfather.  Thank God midwife Barri was on hand...

Interestingly, my daughter's labor and delivery of Alice mirrored my wife's at my daughter's birth -- very fast and efficient (and believe you me that matures into a personality trait).  At least they both had the courtesy of waiting until they were in the hospital before breaking loose.


This is neat stuff, grandfather-hood, and even neater the grand fatherhood of it all.  Daughter grows up and becomes a mother to swell my pride in an otherwise sedate existence.  Even Celexa couldn't hold this one back!

1 comment: